Thursday, July 07, 2011

So Far in Chicago ...

We've been here almost a week. I'm at a B&N right now. I wrote this first part the second day we were here, the part that's italicized down below. Then I'll recap some other stuff. I'll also try to choose the last of the winners while I'm able to do so right now, and promise when I get home to do the grand prize drawing. I've got a huge stack of great books that I got from my old house here that I'll be taking back with to give to the grand prize winner(s)!

Here's the first thoughts I had upon return here:

I feel displaced. We’re back ‘home’. Literally, in our old neighborhood, and I never thought it would be this emotional. It’s like I have discovered I really don’t have a home now. We went back to our old house today. My daughter, “Diva” broke down when she walked in, and that made me cry. It brought back too many memories. She said, “That’s the tree we used to climb in.” We saw the swing set they played on forever. So many things in the home are still ours. Things we left behind for the new owners. It’s still a beautiful house, we loved that house, it’s still a great house. It might have been a mistake to go back. To be at a party there, with the new family and their people, their friends, their family. We felt displaced.

Then I think back to our house in Arizona. I’m trying to think of how it looks, what it’s like. I was just there two days ago. It’s like I can’t remember it. Does it feel like “our” home? Just because it’s got “our” stuff in it? My kids are here now, in Chicago, the place they grew up, and you’d not believe what they’re like—they are so happy here. My oldest has been with his best friend non-stop, running around having a blast, and so has Tukey. Diva has spent the whole time with her best friend, sleeping over there, swimming, doing each others’ hair. They have missed each other like crazy.
I’ve seen a bunch of girlfriends. I’ve cried. I don’t have friends like this in Scottsdale. I mean I have friends, some really great ones, but not a huge bunch of close friends in my neighborhood like I did here. And not a big group. Not yet. I haven’t tried all that hard. My neighborhood in AZ is not like this one. Not like I can tell my kids to just go on out and come home at dinner time. This neighborhood in Illinois is a 1950s dream ‘hood. Go out, play all day with your friends, and when you hear me call you for dinner, come home. That’s what we lived when we were here. Damn, I missed it. I realize it now. And now, it’s like we’ve got to relive the whole moving away from Chicago all over again when we go back home to AZ in a few weeks. I don’t know how my kids will react when it’s time to go home.

So, I'm not feeling THAT sad now. And hey, I've since heard there was a HORRIBLE SAND STORM by where we live in Scottsdale. Have you guys heard about it? Whoever reads this and lives there, please comment and tell me how bad it was! I don't know if I'd rather be in a sandstorm like THAT or be in the Blizzard Chicago had here last winter?

We went to Naperville Ribfest when we got here with neighbor friends and had a blast--REO Speedwagon played and a band called DOT DOT DOT opened for them and they actually were really GREAT! I have to google them to find out more about them. Then Saturday was kind of a melancholy day because we went back to our old house and where I wrote that stuff above. Sunday we had a GREAT day in our old hood with awesome neighbors and friends at a pool party, and Monday we went to a friend's lakehouse.

SUMMER SHANDYs are a plenty out here and I've finally found the drink of choice (aside from my beloved POOL BOYS) that do not give me hangovers!

Then Monday we headed to Mr. Manic's boyhood home and met up with his sister and her family and I got to see my nephew and two nieces, one of whom I never met, and they are ADORABLE! We got so much lovin' from them.

And then... THEN, Tuesday night, I got my U2 redemption! We saw Bono! Last time I was supposed to see U2, this is the horrible thing that happened to me. So let me tell you, it was awesome that I FINALLY got to be at a U2 show! And it ROCKED! And they played ONE TREE HILL, which apparently they've only played it four times EVER! And With Or Without You was awesome, and so was Where The Streets Have No Name, and I personally vote Bono for President!


Yesterday we had an awesome day doing a whole family photo shoot and there are pics on FB if you're my FB friend, and if you're not my FB friend, go ahead and FB friend me, just tell me you know me from MaNiC MoMMy when you friend me. I gotta run now but thanks for checking in!


xo MaNiC

15 comments:

Jenn3128 said...

I have to say Manic, sounds like you got a bit spoiled with your old neighborhood! I've never lived in a neighborhood like that before. Maybe going back wasn't the thing to do, I don't know.

I'm glad you guys are having fun though. You gonna tell us whats in a summer shandy? Never heard of that.

Keep your chin up & good luck on your trip HOME.

Anne said...

As you know, I live in Naperville, and LOVE Chicago!! It would be hard to leave, I agree with you on that. Glad you are enjoying yourselves!

Logan said...

You are such a great writer. I was almost crying myself as I was reading about your day. On a happy note, I picked up a ton of books from the lists of books you have discussed. I have Laura Dave, Emily Giffin, Another Stacey Ballis (yay!), Allison Winn Scotch, Sarah Pekkanen, Stacy Morrison & a couple by Jenifer Weiner. So there are definitely people reading your suggestions!

Anonymous said...

Jenn3128 -- Summer Shandy is beer by Leinelkeugal (spelling is wrong!)
Awesome lemony lighter tasting beer. Very good considering I'm not a beer girl!

Logan! You got sooo many amazing books! You'll love them all!!

MaNiC

Erin T. said...

I grew up right down the street from Knock Park (Ribfest location) and as a kid we used to walk there every day during the fest. And walk back. And walk again to see the fireworks. And walk back again. Then we'd repeat that for Last Fling.

Mmmm... Summer Shandy! The BEST Ever!! I think I may have to bring some to the little league game tomorrow. Either that or Wine in a Juice Box as Dawn is so fond of?!

I imagine your kids are going to be sad when you return to AZ, but I hope that you all remember what great friends you have here in Chicago, who will obviously always be your friends! Enjoy the rest of your stay and make more memories!

Anonymous said...

I have tried to leave a comment 3'times. Kids will be fine and you will be fine. Don't be me! Enjoy life wherever you are and be Happy!' life is too short! 1-4-3

Terri said...

Our dust storm was crazy! I have lived here since 1984 and have never seen anything like it. I had to drive home shortly after the wind died down, and all the dust was still hanging in the air. It looked like as if a volcano was erupting in the area...couldn't see past the end of my headlights. Even still today, EVERYTHING is coated in a layer of dust. Disgusting!

The Phoenix area is so spread out and neighbors just don't get to know each other like I hear about in other towns, so you just have to find a good group of friends and rotate who's side of town you meet in. I'm up in your area, but most of my friends (The Poty's) live in East Mesa. Good friends make it worth the drive! :)

Safe travels!

Terri M.

absolutahnie said...

o.k., i gotta know - what's a "poolboy?" i have a feeling i need one...or two...

enjoy your vacation and the memories that you're making.

buttah said...

So glad you are having a great time...memories can be a very emotional thing!! I don't have that warm fuzzy neighborhood yet either...hoping that changes soon now that little man will be starting kindergarten!! Love the dress you were wearing in your family pick...too cute!!

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Terri! The Poty mama and you and I HAVE to meet for lunch in Desert Ridge one of these days once I get back and the kids are back in school--The Yard House!! OK! I need to meet you guys! This is NUTS!!!

Absolutahnie --- You have not heard me talk of the POOL BOY On here before??? Search it in the archives! It's actually champagne, ice, a little bit of cranberry and a bit of pineapple, but the WAY we drink them is the FUN part! I'll try to find the post about them!

Buttah--thanks for the compliment on the dress--TAR-JAY!!! I hardly ever wear dresses!

Katie said...

Wow! Reading that I really missed your old neighborhood. Now I have never moved very far away before but I do know that things will get better! Have fun in Chicago!

MonaLisa said...

I feel your pain Manic Mommy it's a bittersweet thing to go "home" again. I moved from my "home" in Virginia 17 years ago and still feel a little displaced sometimes. Great family pics, enjoy!

CChristyW said...

It was an amazing force of nature, a haboob! I just washed the top layer of dirt off my car. Time to get the rest done. Everything was dusty until it rained Sunday night. Much brighter now, but dust piles remain!

A.C. Morris said...

Hey, I know exactly how you feel. I'm still "home" with my family for a couple more weeks before I head back out to Japan. It's been a year since we moved out there and it still doesn't feel like home to me either. Glad you're having fun out there though!

Anonymous said...

Loved the post, loved the pictures.

Stefanie with a f.